This time last year I posted a blog complete with 13 resolutions, and then six months ago I posted a follow-up. As 2013 comes to a close, I thought I’d look at those goals of mine one last time. The original resolutions will be in bold, the stuff from June will be in italics, and my new additions will not only be in the font you currently are reading, but separate. The new Music Theme is “The New Year, all this Old and New” so you may see a few videos in the mix as well 😉
1. It’s a recurring resolution, but to be a better wife and mother. You know how there are those cheeses that get better with age? I think I’m like that. I feel like I have been growing right along with Logan, and I know there is still much more growing to do.
I’d like to think I accomplished this, just like at this time next year I will (hopefully) be even better yet. Logan may be the one who’s growing up, but his dad and I are still growing along with our soon-to-be-three-year-old.
This is the New Year- Glee Cast
“Speak louder than the words before you, and give them meaning no one else has found.”
2. To continue blogging on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th, and 30th of each month. Speaking of, what blogs would you like to see in the new year? We’ll just ignore the second part of that, but my goal to blog on those specific days has not been ignored which makes me happy. It would have been pretty easy for me to go on a hiatus while we were without internet for over a month, and although my weekly blog suffered, this one never did.
Done! *Throws confetti* If you don’t believe me you can check out my handy calendar widget.
Also done. I won’t be continuing this next year so I hope all the pen pals I have acknowledged enjoyed their recognition and little knick knacks. (This blog series occurred on the 10TH of every month should you want to investigate.)
4. Use up stationery I don’t use much anymore via Stationery of the Month. Some of the paper I chose for some of the months didn’t take me long to use, though March was a real bitch.
This became especially tedious after a while, but I did use up a lot of paper that I likely wouldn’t have used otherwise. I still have stationery from several of the months (and used the leftovers from two as a trivia prize), but a dent’s a dent.
Unwritten- Natasha Bedingfield
“I’m just beginning, the pen’s in my hand, ending unplanned.”
5. Send a random postcard to a random pen pal every month. I haven’t made some kind of record of this, but it’s safe to assume I did just this considering how I’m always finding a reason to send someone something.
I constantly post things in my FB group like “The first person to like this gets a postcard from me,” so I think it’s safe to say I did this.
6. Reward those I’ve heard from every month at the end of the year. Can’t really cross this resolution off yet, but I can tell you that Jody, Justine, Kayla, Amanda, Holly, and Kimberlee all remain in the running.
I sent Jody her reward along with her package from the Christmas Exchange, and I’ll be sending Justine and Kayla rewards, too.
7. To meet at least one pen pal (Kära &/or Jody from Ohio perhaps?) I have yet to accomplish this one either, but Kära and I have been talking about meeting this summer and going to the Toledo Zoo. *Fingers crossed*
The boys and I were close to meeting Kära and her fiance this fall, but our vehicles both decided to crap out on us at the same time. Better luck next year.
8. Have another photo shoot with the boys and Katelyn Revill. This should be happening sometime in July!
9. Send both family and pen pals pictures from #8. This will probably happen early August then…
As sure as there are pictures above this number I accomplished this task.
10. Finish the %#@&!%& basement and hang up all the postcrossing cards down there. Ugh. Nothing to report here
This isn’t any closer to happening now than it was this time last year. My father-in-law mentioned working on it with his father-in-law, but nothing has become if it yet.
11. Read more than just mail, Facebook posts, and text messages. The first couple months of 2013 I did NOT do this, but I made myself get Julie & Julia for my birthday in March and after I read that I kept finding things to read like the Fifty Shades of Grey books, The Infernal Devices trilogy, and The Help.
Allow me to present exhibits A-I:
- Book Review: Julie & Julia
- Book Review: Fifty Shades of Grey
- Book Review: Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed
- Book Review: The Help
- Book Review: The Infernal Devices Trilogy
- My Summer Reading List
- Dear Teen Me
- Fall Into a Book
- Fall Into a(nother) Book
12. Try at least one new recipe a month (and from meggoesnomnom, perhaps?) We have made six recipes over the past six months, just not one each month- whoops. We have made our own speciality pizzas, a breakfast casserole, and things in the crockpot like lasagna and meatloaf. I have yet to try any recipes from my sister-in-law’s blog but alas, I still have six months to go.
I stopped keeping track around the time I wrote Resolutions Revisited, but I know we’ve tried several things since then like baked spaghetti, pizza from scratch, and this recipe from my sister-in-law’s blog.
13. SAVE MONEY! This hasn’t really happened. It seems like every time we go to try some new expense will come along. The year’s not over so maybe our luck will change.
Our bank account had fewer highs than lows this past year so this particular resolution didn’t happen, but thanks to Gabe’s bonus we’re at least ending 2013 rather comfortably.
Blame it on the Pop- DJ Earworm
“Just pick back up when you’re tumbling down, down, down.”
I hope that your resolutions were as resolved as most of mine were, if not more so. All the best in 2014!
Sincerely, Kate ~!~
PS: If you’re intrigued by the music videos/ music theme concept, I listed the other Music Themists in a widget on the right side of this blog 🙂